It does not have to be the start of the year, it can be anytime of the year that you set some sustainable goals to reach. Every effort and action towards a healthier lifestyle helps!
Sometimes though it's difficult to stick to your plans or goals, and some, if not most, go by the wayside.
In this article we will share some ideas on setting plans that you will stick to and give you some sustainable resolutions to help start your green living list.
Basic Goal SettingWhen setting plans or resolutions it's wise to keep it simple at first. By keeping it simple you may just reach your goals, be able to cross them off the list and move onto greater things. If you are motivated and find it easy to reach your goals go ahead and plan big!
The first step we take in setting goals is to figure out our why, why do we want or need to reach this goal? Once we work this out, our why becomes our rock solid reason not to give up and stay on the path.
Here are some of our reasons-
- Better health for self and family
- To save money and reduce some debt
- Reduce our impact on the environment
- To enjoy our lifestyle
Depending on what goals you set there will be different reasons for do so and it can help if you write these down and keep them where you will see them often. When you go off track or lose some motivation to achieve your goals use your why to guide you back.
After that we we work out what steps we need to take in order to reach those goals. Some are giant leaps and some are more smaller and take more time to achieve.
Working out what steps need to be taken is as important as your why to reaching your goals, it helps you see what may be ahead and gives you a chance to get prepared for changes. Always remember that little steps lead to great leaps and eventually to your goal.
Then we need to keep up our motivation, our excitement and energy to reach those goals. Our why is the main motivation but having rewards for taking steps or leaps is just as helpful. It keeps the excitement alive and rejuvenates our energy. These are not large rewards, they are more like small treats such as-
- Start or finish a good book or movie
- Go out to dinner or picnic lunch
- Have a massage
- A night out with friends
- A total day off where you only do the things you enjoy
On the journey to reaching our goals we have found that the steps are not always smooth, some can be rocky, rough and slippery. Sometimes we have completely slipped off but we found that those steps did not work for us and we do a plan B. We take what did not work and plan steps that may work better and keep on going.
In keeping up motivation, taking steps and giving rewards we have arrived at most of our goals and this is where we celebrate and give ourselves a more lavishing reward such as-
- A family holiday or romantic getaway
- A complete new outfit and pair of shoes
- Items for the home
- New items for or a large time spent on a hobby
- Driving in a race car on a race track
- Bungie jumping, sky diving or a day trek to the top of your favorite mountain
If you would like a step by step guide on how to set goals and work out how to achieve them watch this Free Goal Setting Video
Climbing to the top of a mountain can bring the whole idea of setting goals and taking steps towards your goals to a higher level of understanding. You basically start at the bottom and set the goal of reaching the top. Then you take the steps you need to get there. Once you reach the top you feel relived that you made it and it can even boost your self confidence from achieving something you set out to do.
Vision BoardsTo keep your mind focused and your eye on the target it can be helpful if you make up a vision board. A vision board can be a sheet of paper, a piece of wood, a canvas or a cork board that you decorate with inspiring words, pictures and textured items that resemble you reaching your goals.
|Quick Vision Board|
Now we will give you some sustainable resolution ideas to get you started!
Sustainable Resolution IdeasWe have come up with 6 areas of life that most people set goals for so we will give you some easy and sustainable ideas for each area.
You may want to take a look at our sustainable thinking guide where we go through all areas using the wheel of life.
Family, Friends & RomanceHave eco friendly get togethers and parties, you can look at our christmas party advice to get some ideas.
CareerIf you own your own business make some plans to go green, it can boost customer loyalty and business image. Read our sustainable business owners article to get some ideas.
- Start to clean up your debt by reducing your consumption.
- Take a look at our 9 sustainable money solutions
- Start an exercise regime, it can be simple or more elaborate, read our simple exercise article to get some ideas
- Eat healthy and start to grow your own food
- Make your own skincare and cleaning products
- Create a healthy home environment
- Do a home detox
- Download our free money saving guide which will give you steps towards giving your home a basic energy, water and waste audit
- Educate yourself with green living knowledge and products
- Volunteer or donate at a local charity
- Do something to help nature
Share some of your sustainable goals or ones you have already achieved. We hope that reach your new sustainable goals and get the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it.
Thank You For Reading